December is one of those times of year that I think is difficult to deal with my depression & anxiety.
They both seem to spike right around the holidays each year – in a lovely holiday special cocktail of depression, anxiety and just a touch of OCD (and it’s lovely partner in crime ADHD).
I also have a parent who suffers from similar issues, and while this is not unique to me, I do think I have a good perspective on both sides of this ugly coin.
So, I was pleasantly surprised to find Buzzfeed.com dedicated a week to Mental Health this December.
They have posted a whole load of articles & videos on the huge topic of Mental Health so I have picked out a few that I found myself saying “Yes, that’s it!” to when watching/reading.
- I found that when I stopped trying to “cure” myself of having attacks and instead I work toward getting through to the other side when I get a bout of depression or anxiety that stress lessened a bit (I also stopped thinking of them as attacks)
- Sometimes, even when you know others experience these things too, it’s good to hear (read) it
- And knowing what you’re not experiencing is good, too
- When people say I’m not being me it drives me absolutely mad.
- All of these, but most especially #6
In the meantime…